Monday 24 February 2020

My God, This Thing Still Exists?

Like everybody else who eventually realized it was the twenty-first century, I've been posting most of my newsy stuff on Twitter or Facebook recently. I now understand that this has hardly been fair on those of you who miss the world of 78rpm records, penny-farthing bicycles, smallpox, and author blogs, so I apologize and will try to do better in future. (I won't do better, obvs, but I promise to feel bad about it).

Published just this month is the third volume of THE LOVECRAFT SQUAD, containing my story "The Thing About Cats". Masterminded once again by Steve Jones, it features stories by Steve Baxter, Mike Chinn, Adrian Cole, Brian Hodge, Lisa Morton, Thana Niveau, Reggie Oliver, John Llewellyn Probert, Angela Slatter, Mike Marshall Smith, and Steve Rasnic Tem, all lurking behind another great Doug Klauba cover:


(USA Amazon here, and UK Amazon here)


On the non-fiction front, I've also contributed a piece about the great Ramsey Campbell to Pete Von Sholly's two-volume labor of love FANTASTIC FICTIONEERS. Pete painted over one hundred(!) portraits of masters in our field, recruited a bunch of us to scribble something nice about his subjects, and somehow fooled PS publishing into thinking it was a smart commercial move to publish it:




In  non-book news, I'm one of the talking heads in Daniel Griffith's new documentary MARK OF THE BEAST, an extra on the Arrow Video BluRay of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON:


Dan's documentary has been nominated for a Rondo Hatton Award. I'd like to claim it's due to my eighty-seven seconds or so of screen-time, but that'd be a stretch even for me.


Couple of months back, I got to sign at Dark Delicacies again, this time for a blood-red-vinyl reissue of my old mate Chris Young's superb HELLBOUND score. It was a Soundtrack Special day at DD, so I not only got to hang with Chris and Harry Manfredini (who scored WISHMASTER so brilliantly), but also Richard Band and Alan Howarth, all four of them composers of some of the most iconic horror movie scores of the twentieth century.


L-R: Richard, Harry, Alan, Chris, yer 'umble.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog... it's a window connecting us to the author, and an alternative to the hegemony of Facebook. You've added some pretty good reminiscences to this blog so far and the best part? It's free to keep up. More pictures please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jose! I do come back and add photos to the 'Cruel Work of Time' page every now and then, but maybe I'm not as diligent as I should be. I'll see if there are some waiting to be rounded up.

      Delete